Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I almost forgot!

I was just doing a mental checklist of things that I did last weekend, and I realized I forgot another favorite:

On Saturday night, I went back to Tim Robbins' speakeasy, The Back Room, for the first time this season -- (it's really a place best reserved for when it's cold outside, given the velvet- and upholstery-covered furniture and dark decor). And since the bar is inconspicuously labeled by a sign that says "Lower East Side Toy Co." and requires a walk through a dank alleyway to get to the front door, it's a classic place to make out of town visitors think you're really in the know (even if you're in the not). Oh, and although the shallow teacups that hold the liquor drinks are easily bumped and spilled by flying elbows in the usually crowded space, they make for a fun change in scenery.

Hint: DO try to friend an owner to try to get into the private back room of The Back Room. DON'T try to get in otherwise. You won't succeed.

Yours,
EL

No comments: