Friday, May 29, 2009

Words of wisdom, c/o a teenager

My little (not so little anymore at 6'3") brother and I talked for the first time in a while last night. Now that he has his driver's license (as of a month ago), he has a lot of time to talk on the phone. Because -- you know -- that's what you do when you drive around in sprawling, suburban southern cities. Plus he has a physics final exam today, so talking to his big sister is a perfect form of procrastination. Anyway, this is my favorite part of the conversation:

Brother: "So...what's new?"
Me: "Not too much. Looking for a new apartment again."
Brother: "Um, are you still trying to live in New York City?"
Me: "Ha. Yeah. Trying."
Brother: "I was on Yahoo today, and there was an article that listed New York as the world's third most unlivable city. You sure you wanna live there?"
Me: "Only third most unlivable? Send me the article. And yes -- I'm sure."
Brother: "Hm....Ok Cool."
(We then, naturally, switched gears to talk about how his lacrosse team season ended up.)

Maybe it is just funny to me, but I just loved it. He's so rational, and I guess now he's knows that I'm not. That's okay.

Yours,
EL

3 comments:

Andrea said...

He uses Yahoo?

Move to Brooklyn with me.

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Haha yeah, my mom and brother use Yahoo mail. I tried reasoning with them.

Brooklyn is in the works. There's potential there.