Friday, December 19, 2008

I lerv George Bailey


My mom watches this movie at least once a year.

Sometimes she kicks it off as early as Thanksgiving, when she pops in the VHS and sets the TV front and center on the kitchen counter for perfect sweet-potato-mashing viewage. (I'm convinced she opted for the big-screen plasma in the living room solely so that she could watch Jimmy Stewart from the kitchen.)

Other times, she waits until we're all home for the holidays to beg us to gather around the living room to watch.

Basically, despite Jimmy's annoying voice and the utter cheesiness of the last scene, this movie is a classic, and if you haven't watched it, do. After several teenage years of bucking the trend, I've given in. I love it. And this year, given the real-life credit crisis and the downfall of major investment houses, Capra's movie feels more relevant than ever. (And if you don't trust me, read this -- the NYTimes agrees.)

Hint: Check it out this weekend in NY at select movie theaters -- the Greenwich Village IFC, for example. It is -- for lack of a more precise word -- wonderful.

Yours,
EL

No comments: