Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Borrowed from my brother's blog

My brother wrote this about the house we grew up in. I love it so much I have to share:

The Side Porch

I remember the side porch of our sturdy old house

Brick, ten foot ceilings, crown moldings, hardwoods floors, upstairs and down

Thick walls. Sound didn't carry. Wind didn't shake it. Rain didn't flood it

The piano room had a striped chair that faced a door that led to the side porch

which was southern style, on the shaded breezeway between our house and the next

Always cooler there than the summer day would hint

I remember what it felt like to walk barefoot on the porch in spring

My feet touching the cool red tiles, which were dusted yellow and green by pollen spores

and the bottom of my feet would be dirty and dusty when I came back in the house.

There was a hurricane once.

Fallen trees smashed cars and some houses; large oaks upturned in naked violence.

Our house lost a few bricks from the chimney, up top. But otherwise didn't shake in the wind.

I remember there was a tall pine tree I could see out my window, behind the back yard.

After the hurricane, that tree was gone.

But not the house. Not the house.



Yours,
EL

1 comment:

Lauren Crawford Johns said...

So i know you didnt write this poem, but i just wanted to say that you are a brilliant writer. Your blog fascinates me, you are very clever and insightful. I enjoy reading it so keep writing! Love you Em and miss you like crazy! and hope your Birthday was as amazing as you are!
With much love,
Craw