
Tonight, in lieu of my usual class at NYU ("Digital Media, Marketing and Advertising"), I headed up to the HBO building at Bryant Park for a lecture entitled "The Evolution of Advertising" at the Center for Communication. All I knew was that Ira Mayer, my professor, who may as well be Woody Allen's cousin, said the speakers "are real leaders in the digital ad world" and "will be able to give us some great insights." Sounded valuable enough.
As it turns out, Ira was right. Though the panel got off to a slow, somewhat rambling start -- a pitfall of putting together three organization heads who love to talk about their undebatable, pretty awesome success -- the conversation began to move among topics that I not only think about for a living, but that have become (I think) my long-term professional interest.
The panelists, Douglas Scott, President of OgilvyEntertainment; Guy McCarter, Managing Director of Green Room Entertainment; and Jon Kamen, Chairman and CEO of Radical Media, discussed everything from the evolution of the :30 TV spot to the influx of digital-branded shows both on TV and online. They discussed Mad Men and the differences -- and similarities -- between the ad world of the fifties and that of today. They discussed their specific clients and campaigns, and they discussed projects I have researched ad nauseam for clients that we share.
As I sat in the packed lecture hall, what I thought about most is just how lucky I am to be a part of the New York City, 21st Century media world. The Internet has brought about changes at an unrivaled pace, and it truly takes breathing in this city, this mecca of media, to understand and internalize this industry and its daily impact and implications. At this point, I can think of no better place for me.
Yours, with apologies for the rambling,
EL
1 comment:
Ah! Next time you do something like that let me know! Me? I was still working. This would have been relevant and awesome.
Post a Comment