Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thanksgiving eve

It's my last night in New York before I head home for the holiday, and I decided to stay in to gather some thoughts. Surprisingly mature of me. Anyway, several important things happened as a result.

1. I had something of a philanthropic awakening. It's not to say that I've never been involved with philanthropy, because I have been involved one way or another as long as I can remember. But watching Iconoclasts tonight (I urge you to check out this show -- it's on the Sundance channel, and it's wonderful and my mom and my favorite), I felt a wave of disappointment that I'm not doing more. It's so easy, in NYC especially, to get caught up in the goings on of life -- my life -- and to ignore things that are crucially important. I read blogs and magazines, and I'm interested in fashion and music and art and friends and this city, and I read Weisberger and Bushnell, and everything becomes so limited. This needs to change -- at least a little bit.

2. I called my best friend in San Francisco, and she told me that her grandfather passed away today. "One month ago," she said, "he was camping in the Grand Canyon. Now he's gone." I know it's a cliche, but as usual, death serves as a reminder that life is so short. Too short to waste time.

3. I watched Lipstick Jungle, and for a blissful 45 minutes, I lightened up. (Why it was canceled, I'll never know.)

4. I realized that I should never, ever allow myself to blog at midnight. I become this sappy, sentimental wreck. My apologies.

Yours, already missing NY,
EL

No comments: